Another one along the lines of My last post. I tried to compile this source file today, using the compiler in my little Lisp:
(define (values . args) (%panic "roh roh")) (define (test x) (+ x 1))
I got the following result:
d:\test>vcsh -c test.scm ;;;; VCSH, Debug Build (SCAN 0.99 - Dec 17 2007 16:47:30) ; Info: Loading Internal File: fasl-compiler ; Info: Package 'fasl-compiler' created ; Info: Loading Internal File: fasl-write ; Info: Package 'fasl-write' created ; Info: Loading Internal File: fasl-compiler-run ; Info: Package 'fasl-compiler-run' created ; Info: stack limit disabled! Fatal Error: roh roh @ (error.cpp:168)
Needless to say, fatal errors still aren't any good. However, this one is a bit more interesting than a simple type checking problem. The function
%panic is the internal function used to signal fatal errors from Lisp code. The first definition above redefines
values, the function to return multiple return values, so that it always panics with a fatal error. This is the kind of thing that, if done in a running environment, would break things almost immediately.
But, the compiler is slightly different.... it isolates the program being compiled from the compiler itself. This is done to keep redefinitions that might break the currently running compiler from doing just that. Redefinitions by the compiled program are only supposed to be visible to the compiled program. Since the above program never itself invokes
values, it should never hit the call to
%panic... except that it does.
What's happening here lies in the processing of the second definition. The definition itself is transformed a couple times by macroexpansion, first to this:
(%define test (named-lambda test (x) (+ x 1)))
And then, basically, to this:
(%define test (%lambda ((name . test) (lambda-list x)) (x) (+ x 1)))
The second macroexpansion step is the step that looks for optional arguments, and the internal function that parses lambda lists for optional arguments returns three values using
values. This invocation of
values happens in the environment of the program being compiled, so it hits the new
%panic-invoking definition and the whole show grinds to a halt. The 'easy' fix, ensuring that macro expansion is isolated from potentially harmful redefinitions, won't work. Macro expansion has to happen in the user environment, so that macros can see function definitions that they might rely upon.
I don't have a unit test for the user/compiler seperation logic, so I thought when I started this blog post I was going to say something like: 'look, something else fundamentally broken, and without a test case'. That's interesting, but if you need convincing to write unit tests, you're probably already lost. What I actually learned while researching this post is a bit more subtle: it's a fundamental problem, but it's more about the design than the code itself. While the design I have for user/compiler seperation seems to work most of the time, it's not adequate to solve this kind of problem. I'm not yet exactly sure what the solution is, but it won't necessarily involve a missing unit test.