A few months ago, I ran into a problem with a macro that seriously changed my opinions on how they should be used. It all comes down to the fact that macro are incorporated into compiler output. Two pieces of code that look nicely decoupled in the source text can end up very entwined with each other, once they are compiled.
To illustrate, I'll use the macro in question, something I once used to accept a sort of simulated 'multiple return value' in a dialect of Scheme. This is a low level example, something from my hobby work, but it can apply equally well to other uses of macros.
(defmacro (values-bind form vars . body) (with-gensyms (form-rv-sym) `(let ((,form-rv-sym ,form)) (list-let ,vars (if (%values-tuple? ,form-rv-sym) (slot-ref ,form-rv-sym 'v) (list ,form-rv-sym)) ,@body))))
This macro expands code like this:
(values-bind (returns-2-args 'foo) (arg-1 arg-2) (+ arg-1 arg-2))
Into code that looks like this:
(let ((#:form-rv-sym-69@00beeec4 (returns-2-args 'foo))) (list-let (arg-1 arg-2) (if (%values-tuple? #:form-rv-sym-69@00beeec4) (slot-ref #:form-rv-sym-69@00beeec4 'v) (list #:form-rv-sym-69@00beeec4)) (+ arg-1 arg-2)))
And then, the compiler compiles that form and drops the result into the output file, which now contains several pretty deep assumptions about the simulated multiple value protocol it needs to honor:
- Values are returned in a single value that satifies
- Values are extracted from a tuple with a call to
- Values are stored within slot as a list.
While the source text that uses
values-bind doesn't need to know any of these details, the compiler output does. This results in compiler output that is very closely tied to the value protocol; Compiler output that is likely to be incompatible with any changes to that protocol.
In many development scenarios, this doesn't matter. Within a single project, if compiled file A comes to depend on assumptions embedded in macros from file B, it's less of an issue: both files are usually compiled at the same time. If both files can't be simultaneously compiled, things start to go wrong. I ran into this issue myself when trying to change the multiple value protocol I was using in my compiler. My core library was built with the old protocol, my new library was to be built with the new protocol, and the two could not interoperate for the brief period of time necessary to produce a compiled version of the new library. There are several possible approaches to solving this, but but one I took was the two step of building a new 'old' library that can handle both protocols, using it to compile a version that works only with the new protocol, and then switching over completely. It was a mess, and a mess I created myself with a macro that expanded into something that assumed way too much. The better approach, the approach that I switched to, is this:
(define (call-with-values proc vals) (apply proc (%values->list vals))) (defmacro (values-bind form vars . body) `(call-with-values (lambda ,vars ,@body) ,form))
This expands the above code to something more palatable:
(call-with-values (lambda (arg-1 arg-2) (+ arg-1 arg-2)) (returns-2-args 'foo))
The only assumption this makes in the compiled output is that there's a function
call-with-values that calls its first argument with values passed in as its second argument. All of the gory details, which could easily be the same three from my list, are hidden behind function calls and dynamic linkage. This is actually the representation that made the two-step cutover approach plausible. Switching to this version of the
values-bind macro removed assumptions about the value protocol from every call site, and made it easy to switch.
The upshot of this is something that's, I'm sure, pretty common knowledge in Lisp/Scheme circles: macros are best when limited to syntax, with the underlying functionality implemented in a more functional interface. The functional interface keeps things more decoupled, even when compiled, and leaves your software more managable. It also provides a second way to 'get at' the functionality provided by the underlying code. With the function/macro split, the macro expansionn can be avoided entirely, in the case when you already have a closure that contains the code you need to run.
One more brief example, a bit higher up the 'stack' in the language environment is the transformation of this macro:
(defmacro (with-output-to-string . code) (with-gensyms (saved-output-port-sym output-string-sym) `(let ((,saved-output-port-sym (current-output-port)) (,output-string-sym (open-output-string))) (unwind-protect (lambda () (set-current-output-port ,output-string-sym) ,@code (get-output-string ,output-string-sym)) (lambda () (set-current-output-port ,saved-output-port-sym))))))
Into this macro/function pair:
(define (call-with-output-to-string fn) (let ((saved-output-port (current-output-port)) (output-string (open-output-string))) (unwind-protect (lambda () (set-current-output-port output-string) (fn) (get-output-string output-string)) (lambda () (set-current-output-port saved-output-port))))) (defmacro (with-output-to-string . code) `(call-with-output-to-string (lambda () ,@code)))